Wednesday 24 June 2009

Arrived in South Africa

So I arrived in South Africa on Monday after a torturous flight from Heathrow. The in flight movie selection wasn’t that bad I watched yes-man, the wedding singer, and seven pounds (which was crap by the way), then I watched the wedding singer again. In Johannesburg airport I found a KFC and had some sprinkle pops (popcorn chicken) before waiting a couple of hours before flying on to George. This is the view as I got off the plane:

I was greeted by Lizelle who drove me to my house over here ‘Rondo house’. I’m living with one man documentary producer Jonahe and Yay, whom does the web/communications stuff for ASU. The crew at ‘Bobby house’ and on the dig is quite large. I haven’t counted people but it is up towards 20. I do not know the names of everybody yet. Aaron, Siemen, Cathryn, Kyle, and Curtis I know from the last time but the majority are new to me. Lets see, I remember Tova and Logan (mac guy) so far. We had dinner (chicken pie) with rice (3 stars) cooked by our chef, Fricky. The first night I walked over the bobby house we watched Blade runner on the big screen.

Tuesday

I walked over to the bobby house with my microscope (must remember to never try to do this again) so I could take it to the lab. This is my office for the duration:

And the view out of the window:

And looking down towards the lab from the museum:

It’s pretty good.

I spent most of the day setting up my microscopes and getting the camera working but I also walked to the town to get some household supplies (since I had to dump most of my stuff to reduce luggage weight) and whilst I was there I found this nice little Italian ice-cream cafe:

My usual hope to lose weight whilst on field work will not be fulfilled again!

Tuesday night I sat next to Luke, from Long Island. Cool guy, now working on OSL. He told me how he did a lithic analysis class with John Shea and how Shea was a really good teacher. Apparently you can knap frozen chocolate. I’ll have to give this a try. Later we watched the big lebowski, that movie never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment