Tuesday 10 March 2009

Cool online document tool - Office Live Workspace


So last week I noticed a comment on my twitter from a guy interested in my USB port issue: Screwdriver. Anyway I was looking through his twits and noticed a link to a CIO blog article 'Five Great Microsoft Web Services You're Probably Not Using'. I couldn't help but look, especially as I'm a bit of a MS fanboy. It did not disappoint. Basically Microsoft have taken a set of ideas usually associated with google and done their own versions. Thing is they are ace because they so easily integrate with the common operating system and office software. I've been trying out the windows live workspace on a manuscript our group are currently working on. The word document was uploaded to the workspace and then the master document resides online and can be viewed at anytime by any invited users or editors. Click on edit and it opens it up in word on your desktop. You can edit track changes do all the normal, familiar office stuff, and click save and it saves the version online. You can make comments to discuss changes and you can even work on the document live with other users whilst they are elsewhere.
I don't mean to go on about it. Experience so far is that this tool is awesome and will become the center of the many of the papers that I work on with other people. Will update as the project evolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment